Friday 27 December 2019

A look back at 2019 in Nagasaki

2020 is just right at the door and now is such a great time to look back with a keen eye and a reflective mind over the past year. As for me, 2019 is such a huge milestone because it marks the first time I have ever lived by myself, far away from the family and in a different country. There have been some struggles at the beginning of the relocation and a bit troubles due to language barrier, but everything seems to be just fine now, thanks to the support from my supervisor, Miyu-san (my tutor) and all of my new friends.

For the past 3 months, I have made friend with a lot of people from many parts of the world. Some may argue that even in Vietnam it is still possible to have a lot of international friends. Yes, it is definitely possible but somehow if I were still in my comfort zone (i.e. living in Vietnam), there would be not much motivation for reaching out and forming a new social circle. The interaction with those from different countries has provided me with new insights and perspectives. Discussions about similarities and divergences in our languages and cultures never seems to grow old. Sometimes, we also gather to share our traditional dishes or even try to teach each other how to make our country's unique food. Numerous memorable experiences have been made in just a very short time.

I would say that it will be such a waste if I do not make good use of the time living in Japan to enjoy its scenic views, unique cuisine and fascinating culture. Hence, in the last 3 months, I tried to explore the city of Nagasaki as much as possible during my day-offs. Followings are some of the activities that I have done since arriving in Nagasaki.
Halloween at China town
Mountain climbing
Making "Pho" - Vietnamese traditional rice noodle for The Nagasaki's international culture day
Miyu-san's concert

Making mochi with Japanese
As 2019 is coming to an end, I would say that it is a memorable year of mine in almost every aspect. Before setting any resolution and expectation for the new year, let's just chill out a bit and enjoy the holiday atmosphere of the winter break.

Happy new year and wish you all the best!